A novel coronavirus is a new strain of coronavirus that surfaced in Wuhan, China in the ending part of 2019. The disease caused by novel coronavirus was named coronavirus disease 2019(COVID-19). This new virus is linked to a family of viruses that causes Severe Acute Syndrome(SARS) and some types of cold.
The World Health Organisation(WHO) has officially pronounced it a global pandemic and nations of the earth have risen to fight this deadly virus.
How is COVID-19 Spread?
The virus is transmitted through contact with respiratory droplets from an infected person. The medium could be through sneezing, coughing and also touching contaminated surfaces with the virus. This virus may survive on the surface for several hours or days except it is destroyed by the help of disinfectants.
What are the Symptoms of COVID-19?
COVID-19 symptoms may appear after two days of the person’s infection and the symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. It could cause breathing difficulties in more severe cases. With these symptoms which common to other infections like the common cold or flu (influenza), one needs to get tested to know if it is really COVID-19 infection. Call your local Health Providers in your Country if you have these symptoms to get tested.
How to Protect yourself from COVID-19
- Wash your hands regularly: Regular washing of hands with soap and water OR rub your hand with an alcohol-based sanitizer to get disinfected. This is a good practice to stay safe and protected against the dreaded COVID-19.
- Use of nose mask: It is recommended you use a nose mask all the time and ensure you properly cover your mouth and nose while sneezing and dispose of the tissue after use.
- Social Distancing: Keep distance from people especially people who have cold or flu-like symptoms. Remember the virus is transmitted through respiratory droplets from an infected person.
- Regular Disinfection of Surfaces: As we are told that the virus can survive hours on surfaces, we are advised to disinfect surfaces around us or objects around us. Examples of surfaces are phones, doorknobs, light switches, and countertops.
- Seek Medical Attention if you have the symptoms: COVID-19 is not a death sentence, proper care with treatment would make the person recover from the infection. So, seek medical attention by calling your local Health Authority and also isolate yourself from others.