Programme Management Officer Job – Tjo at United Nations Environment Programme… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at United Nations Environment Programme.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects/activities in relation to Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs).
- Prepares, analyzes, reviews relevant documents, reports and inputs to the governing and subsidiary bodies of MEAs and United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA). Liaises with relevant parties, identifies and tracks MEA governing bodies decisions requesting for UNEP follow-up actions and reporting to the relevant MEAs governing and subsidiary bodies.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the secretariats of the MEAs, as well as relevant partners in planning and facilitating workshops, through interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans for countries to implement their obligations under MEAs.
- Contributes in strengthening programmatic cooperation between UNEP and the MEAs by facilitating the uptake of tools and approaches to enhance coherent implementation within and between the thematic clusters of biodiversity, chemicals and wastes, and climate change related MEAs in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of environmental governance issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conduct training workshops and seminars.
- Participates in, or leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental law, international relations, business administration or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is a desirable.
- A minimum of five years (5) of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management in relation to environmental governance, environmental law, sustainable development, or other related area is required.
- Professional working experience on international and national level related to Multilateral Environmental Agreements on biodiversity, chemicals and wastes or climate change is desirable.
- Experience in dealing with international organizations and/or trust funds and national governments (in particular, developing countries) is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.