Senior Investment Associate, East Africa at Acumen… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Acumen.
Acumen was incorporated on April 1, 2001, with seed capital from the Rockefeller Foundation, Cisco Systems Foundation and three individual philanthropists. Our desire was to transform the world of philanthropy by looking at all human beings as members of a single, global community where everyone had the opportunity to build a life of dignity. The organization would invest “Patient Capital,” capital that bridges the gap between the efficiency and scale of market-based approaches and the social impact of pure philanthropy, in entrepreneurs bringing sustainable solutions to big problems of poverty.
- Evaluate and identify quality investment opportunities from a large deal pipeline utilizing your analytical and critical thinking skills to find unique business models. Articulate your understanding of the value proposition, risks, competition, industry, and impact to your peers in a collaborative investment evaluating culture.
- Prepare and present compelling investment memos for Acumen’s Investment Committee.
- Perform thorough due diligence and structure transactions reflecting appropriate risk/return factors. Work closely with legal counsel to document and close investments.
- Deliver operational insight to the entrepreneurs and leadership team post-investment to enable the companies to achieve economic sustainability. Support the development and evaluate key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments.
- Periodically update the Investment Committee (and sometimes Acumen funders) with portfolio presentations demonstrating the successful performance delivery of impact to the poor.
- Build and enhance your existing network with external stakeholders including funders, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to enhance the investment opportunities pipeline for evaluation by attending industry conferences, events, and one-on-one meetings.
- Develop, teach, and mentor Investment Associates working on investments you source and lead. Assist the Investment Associates grow their abilities to identify business model attributes to migrate to Senior Investment Associates.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree; finance, business, or related field preferred
- 5-8 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies. Understanding of early-stage businesses and entrepreneurs is a plus
- Strong understanding of financial statements and an ability to analyze historical results and model future periods including running sensitivities of key input assumptions
- Ability to present your investment track record of both good and bad historical investments
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- Solid professional skills including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis to Acumen management, partners, and investees.
- Effectively collaborate with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Ideally be familiar with the social enterprise sector with a significant commitment, desire, or experience serving the poor
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Self -reflective and aligned with Acumen values.
- Must have authorization to work in Kenya on a permanent basis