African Union Innovating Education In Africa Expo 2024 – Eligibility, Application Form & How to Apply.
The African Union Commission (AUC) and Partners across Africa will hold the fourth edition of Innovating Education in Africa Expo as a virtual series of events and activities.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2023 by 23:00 (GMT+3).
About the Award: The advent of COVID-19 has exacerbated challenges in Africa’s education and training systems and reinforced the need for innovative solutions that are fit for purpose and can be scaled up sustainably to meet the continually evolving context of education and training. Although the education deficit in Africa is large, significant progress has been made over the past decade. About a fifth of children between the ages of 6-11 are out of school, whereas for children between 12-14 exclusion is about 33%; and an estimated 60% of youth between the ages of 15-17 not in school, with girls more negatively affected. Thus, access remains a challenge at different levels.
In this context, Innovating Education in Africa (IEA) was established in 2018 by the African Union (AU) with the aim of identifying, promoting, and supporting the systemic adoption and replication of education innovations in all aspects of education and training in Africa. The IEA program is designed to generate and validate solutions to persistent education and training challenges in Africa and to support the expansion and scale of effective solutions. Since the inception of the program, over 1,500 education stakeholders across Africa have been engaged, and 180 innovations have been promoted and supported with up to 1 million USD.
The AU Innovating Education in Africa Call invites innovators to propose new and practical education innovations with the potential for sustainability, scalability, and replication on a wide scale. We are looking to mobilize continental education innovators to rethink solutions that will help address education and skills development challenges in Africa especially as countries emerge from COVID-19.
We aim to create change by:
- Incentivizing innovators to identify major education and skills development challenges in Africa;
- Sourcing innovative ideas and solutions to those challenges for adoption replication and scale-up; and
- Encouraging innovation partnerships involving education and training institutions, governments and other key stakeholders.
Eligibility: Applications will be accepted from citizens of AU Member States leading an organisation that meets the following criteria.
- Successfully implementing an education innovation in one or more AU Member States with verifiable outcomes. An education innovation refers to a product or service being offered by an organisation which uses a relatively distinct approach—with respect to the African context—in addressing challenges in the education system.
- Legally registered and licensed to operate in an AU Member State.
- Directly responsible for the implementation and management of the innovation, i.e., not acting as an intermediary.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Successful applicants will benefit from one or more of the following:
- Receive grants of up to 100,000 USD to implement pilot projects in collaboration with AU Member States.
- Promotion of Innovation to AU Member States and Development Partners, including publication in the Africa Education Innovations Handbook 2023.
- Certificate of recognition from the Commissioner of Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation of the African Union.
- Capacity Building for Innovators by Partner Organizations.
How to Apply: Submissions should be made online in English or French at https://tinyurl.com/mr29ffcc with the following information.
- A brief statement of the challenge being addressed (100 words).
- Description of the innovation, specifically how it functions, the implementation approach, and the revenue model (500 words).
- Report on the performance and outcomes of the innovation (500 words).
- Documentation of business registration and license of operation.
Please note that no more than one innovation may be submitted by an organization; failure to comply will lead to disqualification. Recipients of grants under the IEA programme in the past are not eligible to apply.
Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2023 by 23:00 (GMT+3). Inquiries may be sent to
Visit Award Webpage for Details