Call for Applications: African Girls Can Code (AGCCI) Initiative Phase II – Eligibility/ Requirements, Application procedure, and how to get the application.
Deadline: January 20, 2023
UN Women Tanzania is launching a call for applications to qualified girls to participate in the first coding camp to be held in Zanzibar – State University of Zanzibar (SUZA), from February 27 – March 10, 2023.
The aim is to train and empower a minimum of 2,000 girls aged 17 to 25 across Africa to become computer programmers, creators and designers, putting them on the right track to undertake studies and pursue careers in the information, communication and technology (ICT) sectors. The initiative has two key strategies, namely: coding camps and the integration of ICT, coding and gender into national curricula.
The coding camps are coordinated in close collaboration with United Republic of Tanzania (Mainland and Zanzibar) through the:
- Ministry of Community Development, Gender, Women and Special Groups
- Ministry of Information, Communication and Information Technology
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
The Tanzania team responsible for implementing the African Girls Can CODE initiative will provide the participants selected following a selection process with the following:
- A 10-day training on coding as per the AGCCI manual
- Training materials
- Transport to and from the training venue in Zanzibar
- Laptops for use for the duration of and after the training
To qualify for the coding camps, applicants should:
- Be of Tanzania nationality, female, and between the ages of 15-25 years.
- Have an interest in science, technology, mathematics, ICT and related subjects.
- Know how to use a computer and have basic knowledge of Computer Science.
To be selected, applicants need to:
- Provide written permission from parents or legal guardians (for girls under the age of 18) to attend the coding camp. This must be done in the application form;
- Provide a valid phone number and email address;
- Provide a letter of submission with confirmation of availability over the duration of the training (the training camp is 10 days);
- Agree to become an AGCCI ambassador by sharing ideas and experiences in your school or community.
The Call for Application will be open until January 20, 2023 at 23.59hrs EAT (Tanzanian Time).
All applications MUST be submitted through email firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line REF: CFA No. UNW-ESA-TZA-2023- 001 on African Girls Can Code Initiatives Phase 2 Coding Camp.
For more information, visit AGCCI.