HIS Developer at Health Strat Kenya…How to Apply.
Health Strat is a pioneer of 3600 Health Systems Solutions in Kenya, applying a customized approach to holistic assessments, strategy development, implementation, and technical assistance. Our vision is that all people in the region have access to affordable, comprehensive, evidence-based, high quality, responsive and sustainable health care. Our People Our team members have extensive experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating United States Government-funded HIV programs in Kenya over the past decade. Our staff includes practicing clinical experts, organizational development and systems strengthening specialists, and policy advisors at the national and international level. Our team has practical experience developing customized assessment tools, conducting participatory assessments, generating capacity building strategies, and providing training, mentorship, and technical support to ensure sustainable improvements.
About the Project
Monitoring and Evaluation & Strategic Information Systems (MESIS) Project is a project led by Health Strat in partnership with the National and AIDS STI Control Program (NASCOP) through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The project supports enhancing strategic information capacity for HIV/AIDS programs towards sustaining epidemic control in Kenya through monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and data science.
Health Strat (HS) is looking for a Software developer with strong DHIS2 development experience and knowledge.
The primary function of this position is to support HS in maintaining and developing systems and solutions that are built on the DHIS2 platform.
The HIS Developer is expected to design and develop modules & dashboards that meet organizational and donor needs for the specific projects.
Additional software development needs may arise occasionally, that are not specific to DHIS2 such as the development of mobile apps, or interoper ability layers between existing systems.
As an integral part of HS, the HIS Developer may be expected to meet with stakeholders including donors, and government officials and draw up requirements based on their needs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Lead HIS Developer, the HIS Developer will work with the HS Strategic Information team, USG and MoH colleagues to:
- Collect and document system requirements for information system, including but not limited to DHIS2 modules to be developed.
- Deploy, maintain, and administer the DHIS2 implementations including assigning rights to users, maintaining backups and other systems function.
- Testing developed systems and modules.
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code, including writing tests and test cases.
- Based on agreed specifications, design, develop and maintain the DHIS2 data entry mo dules reports, dashboards and visualizations.
- Develop training materials, user manuals and train users on system modules and functionalities, in addition to conducting pre and post training assessments to gauge the effectiveness of the trainings.
- Work with existing team members including those in other software development projects as required, to determine the appropriate frameworks, tools, and technologies to be used in new and existing systems. This may include database and information system, taking context, existing capacity, and other guiding principles (e.g., open source, already in use in the health sector) into account.
- Designing database structure including relational and no-SQL databases
- Work with various data sources including web services, API, excel and csv etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, software engineering or equivalent focusing in software development.
- At least five years work experience in software development.
- At least two years of demonstrated experience working with DHIS2, including developing and designing data sets, indicators, data elements and designing custom data entry screens for DHIS2.
- Demonstrable experience working with databases e.g., MySQL, PSQL and MSQL, including writing SQL queries.
- Should have Unix/Linux background and needs to be comfortable writing Unix/Linux scripts.
- Experience developing health information systems, databases and reports.
- An understanding of popular tools currently in the health sector such as ODK, progressive Web Apps, Epi Info EMRs (in particular, OpenMRS, KenyaEMR).
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex data analytics and visualizations utilizing Microsoft Excel, STATA, Power BI, R,Tableau & GIS.
HOW TO APPLY
nterested applicants who meet the criteria above should send a cover letter detailing their suitability, a copy of their CV and contact information (name, email address and telephone) for three referees to
Applicants are required to include the position title they are applying for on the subject line of the email.
Applicants are expected to quote their current and expected gross pay in the cover letter.
Incomplete applications and applications received after specified deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date : 20th April, 2021