Senior Programme Officer (Operations) at Food and Agriculture Organization… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Food and Agriculture Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is an agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programmes aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The Senior Programme Officer (Operations) reports to the FAO Representative.
Planning, organizing, coordinating and reporting to the FAO Representative on programme operations, implementation and monitoring, resources mobilization as well as office management in line with FAO rules, regulations and procedures.
Provides leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of divisional/office programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
- Leads highly specialized or multidisciplinary country team, and provides technical leadership in high-level resilience policy analysis, policy networks and/or international policy-making bodies;
- Promotes, develops and implements country-level resilience policies, strategies and programmes in close collaboration with regional/subregional teams and partners;
- Leads the identification of strategic priorities for FAO’s resilience agenda, with specific attention to emergency contexts requiring dedicated efforts in terms of preparedness for and effective management of responses to disasters and crises;
- Leads the development and promotion of the country office’s resource mobilization strategy and its implementation, including through strong donor liaison, as well as ensures timely reporting on projects to resource partners;
- Guides the coordination and operational support to disasters and crises related to agriculture in country;
- Develops strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, including line ministries within the Government, United Nations agencies, regional and inter-regional institutions
- Facilitates resilience-related knowledge sharing activities in the country office as well as among Members and regional/subregional entities;
- Promotes lessons learning through the documentation and analysis of information and experience in programmes aimed at enhancing resilience, and facilitates the compilation of good practices for FAO and interested partners
- Coordinates the formulation of project profiles, fully-fledged project documents and ad-hoc reports related to FAO’s resilience strategy and programme;
- Represents the Organization at high-level and international meetings related to country programming.
- Acts as the Head of Operations of the Country Office, comprising sections in Operations, Administration and Finance and provide leadership, guidance and operational support to the overall field programme portfolio of the Country Office;
- Leads and manages day-to-day operations on matters relating to the implementation of FAO field programmes, including emergency, rehabilitation and development project operations;
- Leads and/or manages the Country Office’s human and financial resources, to ensure continuity and sustainability of the office human resources (HR) and common costs including rental of premises and accommodations in Field Offices, Shared Common United Nations (UN) costs, Security and other general operating costs;
- Supervises and coordinates the project cycle management from the design and formulation of project proposals, ensuring quality assurance, under different funding arrangements, to final project closure;
- Coordinates project results-based budget preparation, financial control, human resources management, travel/logistics, missions and operations backstopping to field offices;
- Provides oversight over budget management and project expenditures monitoring, including HR planning, PO monitoring, preparation and processing of Budget Revisions, preparation of project financial reports in line with donor requirements and preparation of yearly field programme delivery estimates;
- Coordinates the preparation of financial and programme/project implementation reports, including final statements to governments and donors;
- Oversees the support and strengthening of the operational structure, including training of national personnel, to ensure the necessary operational capacity for the implementation of the FAO field programme is maintained;
- Liaises with FAO subregional, regional and headquarters units to ensure quality in programme and project activities;
- Builds and maintains partnerships with relevant actors to develop capacity for efficient field programme/project delivery;
- Liaises with other UN organizations and partners (non-governmental organizations, national authorities and donors, etc.) at the operational level on emergency response and development assistance;
- Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in an area related to the activities of the Organization, i.e. agriculture, forestry, fishery, economics, social science, business administration, political science or a closely related field;
- Ten years of relevant experience in resilience programme management associated with agricultural and rural development in emergency and development contexts, and in planning, formulating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating field programmes;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience in field programme/project operations in the food security and agriculture sector delivery (programme/project identification, formulation, analysis, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation);
- Familiarity with FAO’s Project cycle guidelines and knowledge of FAO rules and processes as well as administrative systems is considered a strong asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in liaising with international donor organizations and development partners and in preparing proposals for funding, monitoring budgets and preparing financial reports in donor specific formats;
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project management, including field office budget management, planning and expenditure monitoring;
- Knowledge of field programme issues in Somalia is considered a strong asset.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 7 November. 2021