US Dept of State’s OneBeat Virtual Music Exchange Program 2021 for Emerging Musicians…How To Apply.
Application Deadline: 10th March 2021 5:00 PM EST.
About the Award: The programme is sponsored by the US State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and produced by Bang on a Can’s Found Sound Nation. It celebrates musical collaboration and social engagement.
This year’s virtual edition is in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Fellows will receive a $1 500 honorarium as well as a small subsidy for purchasing necessary audio equipment and enhanced internet connectivity tools.
Eligibility: OneBeat will convene 70 musicians (aged from 19 to 35) from up to 44 countries and territories in two separate virtual exchanges, which will take place as follows: 12 July to 6 September and 20 September to 17 November.
Selection Criteria: OneBeat is looking for applicants who excel in the following areas:
- Musical proficiency and innovation.
- Performance, composition, improvisational, production, and/or technological skill.
- Social engagement – musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social-political issues, reviving dying musical traditions, etc.
- Collaboration – applicants’ willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition.
- Eligible Countries: Albania, Algeria, Barbados, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greenland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Russia, Senegal, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
To be Taken at (Country): Online
Number of Awards: 70
Value of Award: Fellows are responsible for providing their own smart device (computer, tablet, phone) with a camera in order to attend virtual meetings and activities. A small technical subsidy will be made available to Fellows based on need and on a case-by-case basis. This subsidy will go towards additional data/wifi needs should it be necessary.
Duration of Award: Each OneBeat Virtual fellowship involves 28 working days over 8-weeks to allow for asynchronous offline interaction and development time.
How to Apply: Interested artists can apply here. Successful applicants will be notified by 21 May.
Please see the FAQ’s for more details. Applicants will be considered for both fellowship dates but assigned to only one virtual residency once selected. Applicants may list a date preference, but preferences cannot be guaranteed.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.