Apply for Kenya Defence Forces Recruitment – How to Apply
The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) wishes to inform the general public and also invite qualified applicants to apply for the ongoing recruitment exercise. The positions available are: General Service Officer(GSO) Cadet, Specialist Officers, General Duty Recruits, Trademen/women and Constables.
Candidates willing to join Kenya Defence Forces must have necessary qualifications(academic) and also meet the conditions stipulated.
1. Be Kenyan citizen with no dual citizenship.
2. Be in possession of a valid Kenyan National Identity Card. (4 Copies of National Identity Card and PIN certificate)
3. Age – between 18 and 26 years old for GSO Cadets, General Duty Recruits and Tradesmen/women with Certificate/Government Trade Test, not above 30 years for Specialist Officers, Tradesmen/women with Diploma, and not above 39 years for Chaplains/Imams.
4. Be physically and medically fit in accordance with the KDF standards.
5. Have no criminal record.
6. Minimum Height: (a) Men 1.60m (5ft 3in) (b) Women 1.52m (5ft)
7. Minimum Weight: (a) Men 54.55 Kg (120 lb). (b) Women 50.00 Kg (110 lb) .
8. Female candidates must NOT be pregnant at the time of recruitment and during the entire duration of training.
Minimum Academic Qualifications
1. General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets. Must hold a minimum mean grade of B (Plain) in KCSE with at least C+ (Plus) in English, Mathematics and one Science subject. The training period for this category will cover three (3) years leading to a BSc in Military Science and Security Studies upon completion.
2. Specialist Officers. Must hold a minimum mean grade of B (Plain) in KCSE with at least C+ (Plus) in English, Mathematics and one science subject. Must be a holder of an undergraduate degree from a recognized University/institution and be registered with a statutory body where applicable. The training period for Specialist Officers will not be less than three months.
3. Servicemen/women (General Duty) Recruits . Must hold a minimum mean grade of D (plain) in KCSE.
4. Tradesmen/women . Prospective candidates willing to apply must satisfy the conditions and requirements given below.
Technicians. A minimum mean grade of C (Plain) in KCSE, a relevant Diploma or above from a recognized Institution and be registered with the relevant statutory bodies, where applicable.
Artisans. A minimum mean grade of D+ (Plus) in KCSE and either a relevant certificate with Government Trade Test Grade II or Craft II from a recognized Institution.
Be a retired Kenya Defence Forces Service Member or a retired National Youth Serviceman/woman.
Be between the ages of 30 and 55 years old for retired KDF and between 35 and 45 years old for retired NYS.
Possess a Discharge Certificate with a minimum rating of “Very Good” in conduct.
Must have served for at least 9 years Colour Service for retired honourably from KDF.
1. General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets
2. Specialist Officers. In addition to the minimum academic qualifications, Specialist Officers must posses’ qualifications and where necessary be registered with the relevant Statutory
Bodies for the vacancies below:
Medical Officers: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery and be registered with Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (MPDB).
Pharmacists: Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and be registered with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board (PPB).
Nursing Officers: Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and be registered with the Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK).
Dentists: Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Dental Surgery and be registered with the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (MPDB).
Laboratory Technologists: Must hold a Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology/Medical Laboratory Science.
Counselling Psychologists: Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Counselling Psychology.
Public Health Officers: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health/Environmental Science.
Cyber Security/Digital Forensic/IT Officers: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science/Information Technology/SoftwareEngineering/Networking. Certification in Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, and Ethical hacking or Information Security analysis will be added advantage.
Engineers: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical, Electrical & Electronics, Telecommunication, Instrumentation and Control, Mechanical, Marine, Biomedical, Naval Architecture and Mechatronics Engineering and be registered with the Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK).
Journalists: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication majoring either in Broadcast Production or Public Relations with at least two (2) years working experience.
Lawyers: Must hold at least a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized University, be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, hold a current and valid practicing certificate with at least two (2) years practicing experience. Experience in litigation will be an added advantage.
Physical Training Officers: Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Science or Bachelor of Education (Physical Education).
Finance/Accounting Officers. Must hold at least a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance/Accounting option).
Music Specialists. Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Music.
Chaplains/Imams. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Theology/Islamic studies from a recognized Institution. Protestant Churches and Roman Catholic Chaplains must be ordained Ministers and recommended by Archbishop and Episcopal Conference respectively. Imams must be recommended by the Chief Kadhi.
Hospitality Management/Catering Officers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management/ Food Production.
Entrepreneurship and Management Officers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Entrepreneurship.
Statistics Officers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics/Applied Statistics/Actuarial Science.
Procurement & Supply Chain Management Officers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Supply Chain Management /Purchasing & Supplies Management.
Library and Information Officers. Must hold at least Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science.
Project Managers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Project Planning and Management.
Quantity Surveyors. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Quantity Survey and registered with Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors (BORAQS).
Oceanographers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Oceanography.
Dock Masters. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Nautical Science.
1. Accounting/Finance/CPA II
2. Aeronautical Engineering (A&E)
3. Archives and Record Management
4. Automotive Engineering
5. Building and Construction
6. Carpentry and Joinery
7. Community Health & Development
8. Community Health Nursing (KRCHN)
9. Computer Science/Information Technology
10. Counseling Psychology
11. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
12. Electrical and Instrumentation/Control Engineering
13. Human Resource Management
14. Journalism (Print Journalist, Audio – Visual Producer)
15. Marine Engineering
16. Mechanical Engineering (Plant/Production)
17. Medical Laboratory
19. Painting/Coating Technology
20. Para Legal
21. Pharmaceutical Technology
22. Plumbing and Pipe Fitting/Plumbing Technology
23. Project Planning and Management
24. Public Health/Environmental Science
25. Purchasing and Supplies Management
27. Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
28. Research Skills Development
29. Sales and Marketing (dd) Tailoring
30. Telecommunication Engineering
31. Warehouse/Store Keeping Management
32. Welding & Fabrication
1. Auto/Motor Vehicle Electrical
2. Automotive/Motor Vehicle Mechanics
3. Carpentry and Joinery
4. Composite Manufacturing Technology
5. Electrical and Electronics
6. Marine/Ship Construction
7. Masonry and Brick Laying
8. Plant Mechanics
9. Plant Operations (Heavy Plant/Crane/Forklift/Tug Operations)
10. Plumbing and Pipe Fitting
11. Welding and Fabrication
How to Apply for Kenya Defence Forces Recruitment
Clear photocopies of relevant academic certificates and current National Identity Card (ID) MUST be attached to the application and be addressed to the:
Assistant Chief of the Defence Forces (Personnel and Logistics)
Ministry of Defence Defence Headquarters Ulinzi House
P O Box 40668 – 00100 NAIROBI
The applications to reach the addressee on or before 7th November 2019. Candidates who will be shortlisted for Specialist Officers and Tradesmen/women shall be notified through the print media from 17th to 23rd November 2019.
The KDF Recruiting Teams consisting of the Kenya Army, the Kenya Air Force and the Kenya Navy will be visiting the Recruiting Centres (County Headquarters) as indicated below to recruit General Service Officers, General Duty Recruits and Defence Forces Constables
1. 28 Oct 19 Baringo
2. 28 Oct 19 Bomet
3. 28 Oct 19 Busia
4. 28 Oct 19 Isiolo
5. 28 Oct 19 Kericho
6. 28 Oct 19 Kiambu
7. 28 Oct 19 Kisumu
8. 28 Oct 19 Kitui
9. 28 Oct 19 Kwale
10. 28 Oct 19 Laikipia
11. 28 Oct 19 Lamu
12. 28 Oct 19 Machakos
13. 28 Oct 19 Migori
14. 28 Oct 19 Muranga
15. 28 Oct 19 Nakuru
16. 28 Oct 19 Nyandaru
17. 28 Oct 19 Taita/Tave
18. 28 Oct 19 Tharaka
19. 28 Oct 19 Trans Nzo
20. 28 Oct 19 Turkana
21. 28 Oct 19 Uasin
22. 28 Oct 19 Vihiga
23. 28 Oct 19 Wajir
24. 28 Oct 19 West Poko
25. 30 Oct 19 Bungoma
26. 30 Oct 19 Elgeyo/Marakwet 27. 30 Oct 19 Embu
28. 30 Oct 19 Garissa
29. 30 Oct 19 Homa Bay
30. 30 Oct 19 Kajiado
31. 30 Oct 19 Kakamega
32. 30 Oct 19 Kilifi
33. 30 Oct 19 Kirinyaga
34. 30 Oct 19 Kisii
35. 30 Oct 19 Makueni
36. 30 Oct 19 Mandera
37. 30 Oct 19 Marsabit
38. 30 Oct 19 Meru
39. 30 Oct 19 Mombasa
40. 30 Oct 19 Nairobi
41. 30 Oct 19 Nandi
42. 30 Oct 19 Narok
43. 30 Oct 19 Nyamira
44. 30 Oct 19 Nyeri
45. 30 Oct 19 Samburu
46. 30 Oct 19 Siaya
47. 30 Oct 19 Tana River
The ministry of Defence states clearly that any forgery of documents or bribe will not be taken kindly as offended shall be prosecuted with immediate effect.
Please be guided and distant yourself from such act.
For more information, visit the ministry website: www.mod.go.ke