HR Senior Assistant at United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)…..See details below on how to apply for the position at Deloitte 2021.
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability of peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement, and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors, and United Nations organizations.
Under the direct supervision of the HR Specialist and the overall direction of the Head of Support Services as well as the technical guidance of IPAS HR, the HR Senior Assistant is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, completion, monitoring, and maintaining of transactions and processes covering the array of Human Resources Management service lines in accordance with UNOPS’ HR rules, regulations and policies for optimal employee and talent management. S/he may serve as the first contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on routine and standard processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives and services to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
The incumbent is assigned the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:
Summary Of Key Functions
- Support to policy development and implementation
- Advisory Services
- Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Team Management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices for delivery of HR services.
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information.
- As an interlocutor of HR, ensure that new hires’ first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed.
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on routine elements of UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans.
Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Support the completion of recruitment processes including offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information system in line with UNOPS policy.
- Undertakes reference checking, elements of longlisting, and organization of testing and interviews; fee calculation, minutes of general-service recruitments,
- Finalizes selection and other process approvals.
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on routine aspects and elements of their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding.
- Research precedents and present recommendations to the supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines.
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems.
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- Set up and maintain reference files/records.
- Follow up or process payroll verification.
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Manage record maintenance; including personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s.
- Implements the control mechanism for designated administrative services, including maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Administers inventory control, supervising proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Reviews travel authorizations, documentation, payments May be designated transactional role in OneUNOPS/Enterprise system Compiles data and researches information for planning of nancial resources/administrative budget for administrative services.
- Provide direct support to the SOCO Head of Support Services on Country Office related matters.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the HR Senior Assistant directly impact on the compliant execution of HR processes in the respective unit and the efficient and effective performance within it. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of Secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (First University Degree) in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Social Sciences, International Relations or equivalent disciplines with one (1) year experience is acceptable.
- Technical/Diploma Certificate in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Social Sciences, International Relations or equivalent disciplines with three (3) year experience will also be acceptable.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Social Sciences, International Relations or equivalent disciplines will be an asset but not a requirement.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in an international and/or national organization in providing General Administration and/or HR-Generalist is required
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs and slides) and experience in handling web-based management systems is preferred.
- Experience in use of HR information systems, ERP systems desirable.
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector is desirable
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders in a developing country context is desirable.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without Supervision is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 5 /ICS 5
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information – AFR
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life Harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- Nairobi is a Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For Retainer Contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How To Apply
Closing Date : 5th February, 2021