SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
Purpose of the job:
The Procurement and Contracts Officer will work under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director – Operations and together with project and administrative staff, ensure efficient and timely procurement of goods and services and consultancies. Most of SNV work is implemented with sub-contracted service providers on long term contracts or consultancies. The Procurement and Contracts Officer plays a key role in monitoring and ensuring that all contractors, consultants and suppliers deliver both according to schedule and in a cost-effective manner.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
Procurement and Contracting
- Conduct all procurement of goods and services in line with SNV and donor policies and procedures;
- Draft and issue call for proposals and applications, invitations to bid, tender documentation, bid comparisons determining procurement mechanisms that will ensure fair and open competition;
- Review procurement policies against best practice, SNV, Donor and Government of Zambia requirements and revise and adjust as necessary to ensure SNV is compliant with all relevant rules and regulations;
- Review all SNV donor contracts and ensure procurement activities in each project are compliant with donor requirements;
- Manage and administer all SNV sub-contracts to ensure contractors’ compliance and performance, accurate and timely reporting to SNV systems;
- Liaise closely with project teams to predict and track procurement requirements ensuring responsive service provision;
- Draft and issue all consultancy contracts; purchase orders, MoUs, sub agreements and sub contracts; maintain accurate and complete procurement files;
- Manage relationships with other team members, partners and relevant stakeholders, plan all deliverables and activities , review their progress and address deviations in terms of timelines and quality, based on planning, deliverables.
- Support Business Development and reduce risks for SNV by reviewing Terms and Conditions for upcoming contracts and advising management on areas of risk, implications and compliance issues.
- Maintain, review and manage vendor relationships in compliance with the SNV Procurement Policy.
- Ensure that Assets procured are covered by such applicable warranties, guarantees, insurance and after sale services.
- Ensure that Asset received are entered onto the register and are given a code soon beforehand.
- Ensure Asset database updates and physical coding both for respective projects and Country office.
- Ensure Assets management in terms of insurance covers, transfers and condition checks.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Academic & professional qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project management, Procurement, Logistics and or any other related field.
- Extensive proven knowledge of procurement practice and procedures
- At least 5 years in a procurement and contracts post in Zambia
- Experience with procurement and contracts administration under DFID, SIDA, GIZ UN, EU or US government-funded contracts or agreements
- Fully paid-up member of Zambia Institute Purchasing and Supply
Competencies, Capabilities and Attributes: (Skills/behavioural (Special Training or Competence):
- Organization skills and time management – professional approach to personal time planning and respect for deadlines;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues and outside contacts;
- Computer literate with high degree of proficiency and productivity;
Method of Application