Scientist – Soil and Crop Modeler Job at Bioversity International… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Bioversity International.
Who we are Our vision and mission, history, and staff profiles. Where we work Find out where Bioversity International carries out its research The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT Our joint vision and mission. Key events What is coming up in our events calendar. Opportunities Latest job vacancies, Fellowships and more.
- Undertake and support soil carbon, and greenhouse gases modeling at local and landscape scales.
- Apply modelling tools such as DSSAT model to assess the soil organic carbon (SOC) sequestration potential of selected perennial forages within East Africa and Latin America,
- Apply modelling and other approaches to assess potential impacts of land management options including agro-ecology interventions to livelihoods and climate change.
- Assess the long-term impacts of deep rooting forage grasses on soil organic carbon in selected sites in East Africa
- Identify and support opportunities for cross-lever linkages and collaborations within bilateral projects and one CGIAR initiatives, especially across the multifunctional landscapes research lever and tropical forages program.
- Contribute to proposal pipelines by developing proposals and concept notes along the areas of science work identified above.
- Manage and co-ordinate project activities in key projects.
- Publish quality research results in peer-reviewed journals as well as briefs, reports etc.
- Supervise research associates and short-term consultants involved in key projects and initiatives.
- Represent and give visibility to the Alliance in relevant forums and arenas
- Perform other duties as required by their supervisor
- PhD Degree in Agronomy, Soil Science, or any other relevant field with good scientific knowledge on tropical soil, soil organic carbon and soil biology.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an international organization with key strengths in soil organic carbon and modeling topics
- Proven experience in applying biophysical models for simulating soil organic carbon (DayCent, CropSyst, RotC, etc.)
- Ability to integrate knowledge across different disciplines.
- Capable of managing professional relationships, and working in a complex, intercultural and highly dynamic working environment.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvements in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning and be committed to staff development.