Stellenbosch MA & PhD “Turning The TiDe” Scholarships 2024 For African Students – Eligibility, Application Form & How to Apply.
Stellenbosch MA & PhD “Turning the tide” Scholarships 2024 for African Students
When Is Application Deadline?
30th August 2023
Tell Me About Award:
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Stellenbosch University is pleased to announce, in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, a limited number of full-time scholarships for Masters (full thesis) or PhD studies.
Scholarships are available in all the disciplines that form part of our Faculty but restricted to research topics that fall within one of the following themes:
- African Cultural Studies
- The Anthropocene and Ecocriticism
- Identity, Gender and/or Queer Studies
What Type Of Award Is This?
PhD, Master Scholarship
Who Can Apply?
- Applicants should have obtained a first-class distinction (75%+), in the final year of the previous completed degree.
- Applicants are expected to provide a sample of their writing with their application:
- MA thesis for PhD applicants
- Honours research essay for MA applicants
- Any published academic articles related to your application
- At the date of application, applicants must not be older than 30 to apply for a Masters scholarship and not older than 35 to apply for a PhD scholarship.
- Applicants have to be able to commence studies in February 2024
- Applicants must apply to study at Stellenbosch University in addition to this scholarship application. Applicants are not required to be registered or to have a supervisor. They should, however, inform themselves regarding the availability of suitable supervisors in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in their particular field of research, before submitting an application.
- An existing record of publications;
- Awards or grants received;
- Relevant professional or artistic experience;
- The ability to use any language(s) in addition to English for academic purposes.
Which Countries Are Eligible?
Where Will Award Be Taken?
How Many Positions Will Be Given?
What Is The Benefit Of Award?
- PhD scholarships: R357 500.00, over three years. (In addition to study fees and an allowance, the scholarship may also include research activities together with your supervisor, such as: a writing retreat, conference attendance and publication costs to the value of R52 500, based on application made for these funds during study period.)
- MA scholarships: Up to R160 000, over 18 months to two years. (In addition to study fees and an allowance, the scholarship may also include research activities together with your supervisor, such as: a writing retreat, conference attendance and publication costs to the value of R20 375, based on application made for these funds during study period.)
How Long Is The Program?
PhD: 3 Years
MA: 18 Months
How To Apply For Program?
- *Official application forms (here);
- A motivation letter (not longer than 600 words);
- A pre-proposal (or research idea) of no more than 500 words describing your proposed research question and conceptualization on any of the three project themes. You should discuss the unique contribution your research will make to the existing body of knowledge in this field of study, the problem statement, the methodology / theoretical framework / philosophical underpinnings you intend to use and the feasibility of your study. Please note that your research should deal directly with one of the three project themes.
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript;
- A certified copy of your Honours or MA degree certificate – or foreign equivalent (if you have completed the qualification but have not yet obtained the certificate, official proof from the institution concerned that the degree will be delivered before March 2023);
- A certified copy of your South African ID or passport (for international students).
*Please note that this is the ONLY official site for this scholarship application – Contact us if you are unsure.