Senior Legal Officer, Media Freedom Jobs 2021 at Abt Associates….See details below on how to apply for the position at FSD Africa 2021.
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development. Specific areas we work in include: â€¢ Health â€¢ Education and workforce development â€¢ Climate change and the environment â€¢ Food security and agriculture â€¢ Housing and communities â€¢ Survey and data collection
Under the supervision of the Kenya Chief of Party and with “dotted line” reporting to the PMI VectorLink Project’s UK-based Entomology Advisor, the Entomology Technical Manager provides leadership and management oversight of all of the project’s entomological surveillance activities in Kenya, in collaboration with the Division of National Malaria Program (NMCP), coordinate and oversee the project’s key entomological monitoring activities for IRS plus ITN Durability Monitoring and will guide key project and country-level IRS decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Leads the development of an entomological monitoring plan, in collaboration with national counterparts at the DNMP or designated research institution
- Reviews the content of communications materials for technical accuracy
- Manages field-based entomology teams and molecular laboratory analysis of mosquito samples to ensure monthly data collection, data quality and control
- Ensures the transfer of technical skills to local institutions
- Responsible for producing high quality entomological reports, including spray quality reports
- Coordinate the implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
- The establishment of sentinel sites in each target district
- Monthly pyrethrum spray catch, CDC light trap and window exit trap collections to monitor indoor resting and host-seeking vector populations
- Wall bioassays after every spray cycle to evaluate the quality of spraying
- Wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of insecticide
- Vector susceptibility studies annually for all currently used and candidate insecticides in order to monitor resistance status and resistance mechanisms
- Provide guidance and support to a focal counterpart from the MOH/DNMP or research institution for the supervision of district-level field teams of entomological technicians or vector control officers who perform mosquito collections and tests
- Ensure that the field teams follow all WHO approved guidelines, protocols, and techniques for mosquito collections and tests
- Ensure that all data from all collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identification, and undertake data analysis and prepare monitoring reports
- Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians
- Ensure that ITN durability monitoring studies are done according to WHO protocols and to prepare high quality reports of these studies
- Develop capacity of community-based entomological collectors while working closely with county entomology staff.
- Establish a new molecular laboratory for entomological analysis (PCR and ELISA) with a partner institution.
- Work closely with DNMP and consultants to oversee and manage the preparation of updated national guideline documents such as Insecticide Resistance Management, Integrated Vector Management documents and Vector Surveillance documents
- Prepare manuscripts using project entomology data for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Masters Degree (minimum),or a PhD (desirable) in Entomology
- Minimum six (6) years of relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control
- Experience conducting ITN durability monitoring studies
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills
- Should have some previous experience conducting PCR for mosquito species identification, detection of resistance mechanisms and sporozoite ELISA.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable
- English language fluency
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
How To Apply
Closing Date : 24th February, 2021