How to Apply for a US Visa in Kenya [Step-By-Step Guide] | This article contains Complete Steps on How to apply for United States of America Visa, US Visa in Kenya & How to apply for US Visa in Kenya- 2020, US Visa Requirements in Kenya.
One of the requirements for Kenyans to travel to the United States of America is a valid visa. The United States of America like many other countries of the world have various have standards and the general economy of the country is good thereby attracting people all around the world to the country. Their technology is one of a kind and the government policies are friendly. As a country, they require Visa for anyone to be granted entry into the country. In this article, we will explain the procedure on How to apply for US Visa in Kenya, US Visa Requirements in Kenya, US Visa fees for Kenyans and How to proceed to apply.
Though US Visa Application fees in Kenya, US Visa cost varies based on the type of US Visa you are applying for. It is either you are applying for Non-immigrant visas or Immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas are issued to people or persons who wish to visit the United States of America temporarily while the Immigrant visas are issued to persons or people who want to live permanently in the United State of America.
The following is a summary of the types of Non-immigrant Visa:
- Work Visa: This type of visa is issued to Kenyans who have secured employment in the United State of America.
- Student Visa: This is known as F1 Visa. It is issued to international students who have successfully secured or gained admission to study in any higher institution in the United States of America.
- Family Visa: The family visa is granted to US Citizens who want to sponsor their families – spouses, children, wives, siblings or parents to join them in the US.
- Tourist or Business Visa: This is known as B1 and B2 visas. It is issued or granted to those who need a short travel entry permit for business (B2 visa), tourism or visitation (B1 visa).
Documented Required for US Visa in Kenya
- An immigration passport, which must be valid for 6 months after the intended stay.
- A passport photograph (2” x 2”). See photograph requirements.
- A US visa application form. ( The US Embassy does not accept handwritten application forms)
- Proof of payment of Application fee. You can make payment at Postbank or through Mpesa. If you make your payment through Mpesa, you will need to provide nine (9) digits provided via sms to confirm the transaction. ( Application fee is not refundable)
- Proof of financial status – your original bank statement from a commercial bank recognized by the Central Bank of Kenya.
- Applicants may be asked to provide other documents substantiating their travel purpose.
Additional Documents for Student Visa:
- SEVIS I-901 fee must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security for individual-program. ( You can pay this fee via western union or mail) Payment must reflect on the Embassy’s computer system.
- If someone is sponsoring your studies, you must provide financial proof from your sponsor.
- You should apply for your visa in advance. Applications should be made no earlier than 4 months prior to your school resumption date.
- A valid I-20 or DS-2019 form must indicate that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education.
How to Apply for a US Visa in Kenya – 2020
Following the steps below to get started with the Visa Application
- Start your application process by completing the visa application form DS-160.
- Create an account on the website and fill out all your travel information.
- Print out a deposit slip found in your account. You will use the slip to pay the visa application fee via Mpesa or Postbank.
- Once you have paid the application fee, enter the receipt number in your account on the Visa Service website.
- Then, you will be taken to the calendar, where you can select your preferred appointment date.
All applicants are required to book an interview appointment on U.S. Visa Service as Interview appointments are given on a first-come, first-served basis.
Note: interviews are conducted from Monday to Thursdays and those without complete requirements or documents will not be interviewed.
US Visa application processing time takes between 2-3 calendar days after the date of your interview. However, it could take longer in special cases especially when administrative processing is required.
US Visa in Kenya can be gotten at the embassy or It could be sent through courier services to the applicant.
For more information or enquires, visit the US Embassy in Kenya through the address below or visit their website: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/
United State Embassy Office Address
United Nations Avenue Nairobi
P. O. Box 606 Village Market
00621 Nairobi, Kenya