Kenya Power Recruitment 2021…See Details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Kenya Power 2021.
Kenya Power owns and operates most of the electricity transmission and distribution system in the country and sells electricity to over 4.8 million customers (as at June 29, 2016). The Company’s key mandate is to plan for sufficient electricity generation and transmission capacity to meet demand; building and maintaining the power distribution and transmission network and retailing of electricity to its customers. The Government has a controlling stake at 50.1% of shareholding with private investors at 49.9%. Kenya Power is listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. Mission Powering people for better lives. Vision To provide world-class power that delights our customers Core Values Customer First One Team Passion Integrity Excellence Quality Policy We are committed to providing high quality customer service by efficiently transmitting and distributing high quality electricity that is safe, adequate and reliable at cost effective tariffs.
- Legal Officer at Kenya Power
Job Ref: HR: KP1/5B.2/1/3/1084
Reporting to the Senior Legal Officer, in Legal, Regulatory Affairs & Company Secretary Division, the Legal Officer, will be responsible for handling litigation and disputes involving the Company and supporting the management on all related legal matters concerning the Company.
The key tasks & duties;
- Preparing and filing legal documents at court registries, such as plaints, statements of defenses, response to claims, appeals, list of documents and witnesses, witness statements, bundle of documents, applications, etc in order to protect the company’s interests.
- Attending to all legal matters of the Company including advising, vetting and drafting of legal agreements and contracts.
- Representing the Company in courts (Superior and Subordinate Courts), tribunals, and before government agencies.
- Conducting pre-trial briefings and site visits in order to be fully apprised of the matter and prepare the litigation strategy.
- Conducting research and analysis of legal matters and Interpreting laws, rulings and proffer legal opinions so as to guide the Company allocated to them.
- Communicating with colleagues, judicial officers, investigative agencies, licensing authorities and others in matters allocated to them.
- Preparing letters and general correspondences as regards matters they are handling.
- Engaging in amicable settlement of disputes and complaints and following up on their resolutions.
- Overseeing the work of support staff, such as legal assistants, legal clerks and Legal Secretaries to enable efficient delivery of services.
- Providing guidance, advice, legal awareness and/or training and educational programs, to improve business understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements and contractual matters as may be required.
- Preparing reports and maintaining the records of the Company with respect to the department to enable monitoring and reporting to the management.
- Liaising with external lawyers on court cases and monitoring compliance with court procedures and requirements to enhance timely, efficient and effective conclusion of disputes, prosecutions and disputes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized Institution
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a valid practicing certificate
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Three (3) years post admission experience in a busy law firm and must have been in active litigation and dispute resolution position
- Certified Public Secretary (K) in good standing will be an added advantage
- Master’s Degree in Law from a recognized institution will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English and good writing skills
- Proficiency in computer applications
- Strong communication, reporting and negotiation Skills
- Attention to detail
- High levels of Integrity and Ethics and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Drive for results and achievement
- Demonstrable skills in information handling and data organization, including the use of relevant information databases, online services and library
- Strong analytical skills and ability to integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Ability to work under pressure
- Self-motivated and strong team player
- Coordination, networking and relationship building skills
- Decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and complete tasks within deadlines
- Flexible approach to range of work and working hours
- Satisfy the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya