Safe. Smart. Sustainable. Probably not the first words you typically associate with mining. But Anglo American is not your typical mining company.
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible – from mobile phones to medicines.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Here’s an exciting opportunity to join us.
To drive leading and best practice in Safety, Health, Environment and Community (SHEC) initiatives within Group Discovery & Geosciences and support the local Discovery Team in Zambia.
- Engage and influence local stakeholders in the country for best practice SHEC management and implementation of practical controls, and provide counsel and advice when called upon
- Lead or engage and influence stakeholders to implement risk management in-line with Operational Risk Management
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of the GDG SHEC Management System in line with ISO14001, ISO45001, SHE Way and Social Way requirements
- To be present and available to the local country Discovery Managers and their teams in the safe implementation of the GDG SHEC Management systems in their day-to-day workflows
- Engage with local country team members face-to-face, virtually, or as otherwise required to ensure they know their requirements of our SHEC Management System
- Work closely with colleagues in the Zambian Team if and when required for SHEC support
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental protection qualification.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Local / Regional experience in the management of exploration SHEC programs
- Proven experience working on or adjacent to operating mines
- Proven experience in drilling rig safety
- Experience in the implementation of Safety and Occupational Health Management Systems
- Proven experience working with communities and other stakeholders to maintain licence to operate and explore
- Must be active “hands on” contributor who works closely with the Discovery Manager
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
Method of Application