ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) is part of the ActionAid Global (AAG) Federation, sharing common values and aims to drive social change towards a just, equitable, and sustainable world. AAZ works with the marginalized, excluded women and young people, their organizations, and social movements to address the structural causes of social injustice, gender inequality, and poverty. ActionAid Zambia is undertaking the recruitment for experienced and suitably qualified Zambians to fill in the following three Project based positions. The recruitments are subject to the signing of the MOU with the Funder.
Reporting directly to the Consortium Manager, the Project Officer will provide technical support to field staff and lead in facilitation of all training for partners and implementing staff in relation to activities on the ground. The Project Officer will support local-based project Officers in building local-level project relationships for effective delivery with local authorities and other stakeholders in natural resources management sector; facilitate capacity building of communities and staff to effectively manage natural resources management activities and; ensure that Human Rights-Based Approach and feminist leadership including AA participatory issues are effectively mainstreamed across the project implementation and related activities.
- Project/programme management
- Work with Consortium Project Manager to ensure effective and overall efficiency in management and delivery of project deliverables through annual planning, budgeting, reporting and day-to-day facilitation of operations consistent with project cycle management and the project’s goal with highest standards of programmatic quality,
- Provide technical support and guidance to project staff and community around natural resources and fisheries management, resilient livelihoods, climate justice, and market value chain development;
- Ensure that projects adopt sustainable fisheries management technologies including the use of appropriate fishing methods, drying and preservation, storage and packaging and ensure that best practices and lessons learned within the programme are properly documented and shared across all partners,
- Build capacity of staff and communities in the Voluntary Guidelines for Securing Sustainable Small-Scale Fisheries in the Context of Food Security and Poverty Eradication.
- Ensure cascading of monitoring systems and that tools are developed and used by project staff to track project progress and capture learning for all project-related activities.
- Assist project manager in coordinating processes for project evaluation, document and share lessons learned with the district, development partners and other local-level stakeholders,
- Provide regular reporting to the Project Manager as per guidelines including preparation and consolidation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the project,
- Monitor the context and recommend adjustments to project activity plans on an on-going basis in light of changing context, resources, and opportunities,
- Monitor activities expenditure against budget, and preparation and submission of required activity progress and financial reports on a regular basis to Project Manager,
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all key stakeholder involved in the fisheries sector including Government ministries research institutions, NGOs and traditional establishments, private organizations and relevant networks working in the 3 districts,
- Provide strategic leadership around programme design on resilient livelihood, climate justice, civic participation, and electoral accountability in ways that are consistent with AA HRBA.
- Contribute to designing programmatic and policy initiatives for the advancement of resilient livelihoods and climate justice;
- Identify and build relationships with key stakeholders and Participate in regular planning and progress review meetings.
- Policy engagement and advocacy
- Design messaging for awareness raising on fisheries management and identification of policy gaps in the sector,
- Assist in designing in research to support the generation of evidence for engagement with policy makers, government and other duty bearers.
- Participate in conducting Policy analysis and provide input into policy submissions of Action Aid Zambia
- Facilitate district, provincial and national level dialogue between rights holders and political duty bearers (Interface meetings) in the targeted provinces focusing on human rights and citizen entitlements in relation to climate change.
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), reporting and communication
- Ensure that data is collected in-line with the MEL framework and log frame on a regular basis.
- Track progress and report against the MEL framework, using key MEL tools to gather evidence-based advocacy materials.
- Capture lessons learnt and best practice to share among implementing partners and stakeholders.
- Promote participatory review and reflection among all project players – systematise ongoing monitoring in a rigorous way, draw out learning and generate knowledge
- Prepare narrative reports and coordinate project financial reports on a regular basis
- Support the project finance officer with on time submission of expenses/invoices
- Financial Management, compliance & Risk Management
- Ensure that the Project work-plan and expenditure conforms to the project budget and remains within agreed limits. Facilitate any necessary revisions and approval from AAZ Management and EU before implementation.
- Ensure project implementation is in compliance with AAZ financial guidelines and EU guidelines as per agreement
- Provide relevant support in the preparation of financial reports to the donor.
- Minimum Job Requirements
- Degree in Natural Resources Management, Agriculture, fisheries and related disciplines
- 3 years’ experience working in a development organisation on natural resource management, fisheries, value chain development policy engagement and community stakeholder engagement.
- Good understanding of project cycle management approaches and other participatory tools as per AA guidelines.
- Practical experience in planning, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and community capacity building around NRM activities,
- Good knowledge and understanding of key aspects of development work; including food, nutrition and livelihood security, and integration of climate change response in development programming.
- Able to work independently, think critically and reflect
- Good communication both written and oral and skills, and interpersonal skills preferably in an NGO; able to live, motivate and work closely with big and diverse team with minimum direct supervision
Strong skills in speaking and writing English with solid computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
Method of Application
Application: To apply for this position, please send your updated Curriculum Vitae and cover letter highlighting how you match the criteria in the Job Description to the following email address; [email protected]. Clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject line followed by your name.
The Closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 2nd September 2020 at 17:00 hours.
ActionAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EoE), however; qualified women are encouraged to apply. Please Note: While we value all applications, we can only respond to shortlisted/successful candidates.