Technical Principal Job (Dams and Hydropower) at SMEC… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at SMEC.
SMEC’s origins date back to the iconic Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Scheme in 1949. Today SMEC is consistently recognised for technical excellence and design innovation by the world’s leading engineering bodies. Striving to deliver service excellence across a range of industry sectors, SMEC has developed and refined a core service offering covering the lifecycle of a project. SMEC’s projects help to generate economic wealth and provide essential infrastructure services in some of the world’s fastest growing economies.
- Maintain a high standard of technical support and delivery on projects;
- Ensure tasks and projects are delivered to required specifications as well as agreed timeframes;
- Ensure that quality control measures are maintained, such as project deliverables are reviewed internally at appropriate stages of all infrastructure projects.
- Ensure that all Infrastructure projects are subjected to regular technical audits;
- Share the marketing intelligence with other Divisions Liaise with Regional Managers and other
- Divisions to ensure appropriate skills are incorporated into multi-discipline and/or shared teams; and
- Coordinate with Regional Managers and other Divisions to optimise resource utilisation.
- Maintain an understanding of latest design software as well as design technologies and ensure that the Dams and Hydropower team is trained as well as up to date on the latest technology for implementation on projects
- Market SMEC’s Dams and Hydropower sector with clients and prospective clients by collaborating with the Regional Managers in each management centre;
- Responsible for ensuring that technical reports/proposals for Infrastructure projects are responsive to the client’s requirements and/or Terms of Reference
- Prepare financial proposals with sufficient budgets (fees and expenses) to facilitate the technical delivery of the projects to a minimum acceptable standard, including provisions of Quality
- Assurance, technical audits and peer reviews, as appropriate;
- Monitor prospective work opportunities, engaging with clients and stakeholders to identify project requirements and ensure that SMEC’s capabilities and track record are recognised before the project(s) are advertised;
- Monitor submitted proposals, ensure that feedback is obtained and used productively to improve future proposals/submissions
- Responsible for ensuring quality, time and cost control throughout project delivery; including acting as or appointing Project Directors for Infrastructure projects;
- Prepare status reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis as specified in the BMS; and
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Functional Manager Dams & Hydropower function.
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of first degree in Civil/Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 15 years’ practical experience in the field of civil engineering related to dams and hydropower infrastructure;
- A good understanding of hydropower/dams infrastructure project implementation and a demonstrated ability to deliver to clients’ satisfaction successfully;
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team of technical resources.
- Ability to communicate (oral and in writing) effectively in English to furnish reports;
- Assist with the preparation of business development materials including proposals;
- Demonstrated experience in societies and cultures within SMEC’s geographic footprint;
- Demonstrated technical and commercial leadership within the candidate’s discipline; and
- Experience working in Africa would be an added advantage.