Regional Representative Job at United Nations Human Settlements Programme…See Details on how to apply for the opportunities available at United Nations Human Settlements Programme.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The Urban Economy Branch of UN-Habitat has the mandate to promote local capabilities of local governments to develop financial instruments to keep pace with the demands of rapid urbanization. The Urban Economy Branch has the mandate to promote plans and provide support for more efficient, socially inclusive, better integrated, and connected cities that foster sustainable urban development.
- Regional Representative
- Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Director, Regional Programmes Division, the incumbent will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Policy-making: Contribute to the overall policy and strategy development of UN-Habitat, including in the regional dimensions.
- Provide Leadership in the development and implementation of UN-Habitat’s operational strategy for the region and sub-regions; Encourage international cooperation to implement the New Urban Agenda and the urban dimensions of the Sustainable Development Goals and represent the organization at all high-level events in the region.
- Programme Development and Implementation: Provide leadership in the formulation of the annual work programme of the region and coordinate its implementation.
- Resource Mobilization: Develop and implement a resource mobilization strategy for the region in close cooperation with the External Relations and Partnerships Branch (External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge, and Innovation Division Division) and the Programme Development Branch (Global Solutions Division).
- Monitor emergency needs and issues in the region in the context of human settlements, developing and implementing appropriate response strategy and projects; Maintain productive relations with the host government and supporting institutions.
- Maintain close and regular liaison with headquarters, the UN Regional Coordination Office, UN Country Offices in the region, and other multi- and bilateral partners on programme development and coordination, in close collaboration with the Director of External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division;
- Undertake or participate in activities that foster country-to-country cooperation, knowledge management, and exchange of experience in varied aspects of human settlements across the region.
- Networking and Information Activities: Organizing advocacy and thematic activities within the Region related to the main policy messages promoted by UN-Habitat.
- Representing UN-Habitat in major development programming exercises at the regional and national level, international conferences, major regional fora, expert meetings, and project review meetings.
- Promote and implement operational activities of UN-Habitat’s global programmes and flagship programmes towards the implementation of the UN-Habitat Strategic Plan.
- Management and supervision of the office; Manage and supervise the work of the Office, including administration, personnel, procurement, and financial management; Approve financial authorizations for accounts under the Office’s control.
- Ensure timely reporting to Headquarters and all the agencies funding its operational activities, including annual and quarterly reports.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban and regional planning, housing, social sciences relevant to the development and management of human settlements or related areas is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in multi-disciplinary human settlements development work, of which at least ten on the international arena is required.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
Application Deadline:18th April 2021.