Position Title: Chief Operations Officer, WWF-Zambia
Reports to: Country Director
Supervises: Department Leads for Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Program operations and quality assurance, Compliance Others to be Determined
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
The mission of the WWF Zambia is to ensure that by 2030, the environment, natural resources and biodiversity in Zambia are secured and sustainably managed for people and nature. To enable the achievement of this mission, WWF Zambia is on a transformational journey: transitioning from being a Programme Office (reporting to the WWF Regional Office for Africa) within the WWF Network to becoming a National WWF Organisation in Zambia by 2022. This decision has been approved by the WWF Zambia Interim board. This means developing a new long term strategy and establishing a local board and governance structure to better enable the organisation to draw on national expertise and influence to deliver locally-led large scale conservation impact.
- Key Roles
The Chief Operations Officer will play a critical leadership role in driving ZCO operational excellence in day to day implementation of donor funded projects. The role will support the development and implementation of innovative WWF Zambia’s organizational development investments and systems to get the basics rights so as to ensure break through performance is created and sustained across the organisation. The position will Deputise for Country Director and will provide day to day operational leadership to guide prioritisation and drive the implementation annual and quarterly targets , prepare operationally for strategic growth, promote innovation, and efficiency. The Chief Operations Officer will oversee the management and effective integration of Operations for WWF Zambia to ensure high performance, efficient operating systems, and the ability to enhance delivery of complex conservation programs and results. The Chief Operations Officer is instrumental in improving organizational policies, procedures, and management systems, and ensuring compliance with WWF’s organizational policies and procedures, globally accepted norms and best practices in NGO operations as part of the Global Network of WWF offices.
The Chief Operations Officer works with the WWF Zambia SMT and landscape teams and their partners to assess, project and plan on the required capacity to deliver the key performance indicators to improve their capacity on planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning through training and mentoring of planning and monitoring staff. The Chief Operations Officer will support the SMT break the silos and support the development, implementation and monitoring of a coordinated, relevant, locally-owned and impact focussed organisational strategy and organisational structure. He/she will support the Country Director, Senior Management Team and Change Team(s) to monitor and communicate organisation change ensuring a transparent change process that provides opportunities for collective exploration, co-creation of solutions, shared ownership and responsibility, coordinated action and participatory review and assessment.
The Chief Operations Officer has a range of strategic functions as well as operational responsibilities to ensure high performance of key operating departments. The position will support and advise the Country Director on key matters related to these functions.
- The position will lead cross team multi-year, annual and donor project operational planning and monitoring and provide oversight on implementation of risk management actions.
- The role will regularly review , set , drive and support the creation of efficiencies across departmental work flows in compliance with WWF International standards and targets and will support functional heads create and deliver and sustain operationally efficient processes and services that meet donor, staff and donor compliance obligations within departments.
- He will be responsible for effective and regular donor liaison and reporting to WWF International donors on grant operational matters and OD investments working with Fundraising Manager
- Guide the organizational change process and deliver continual improvements in key operational areas, elevating WWF-Zambia’s profile as an efficient Zambian ‘partner of choice’ for donors
- Exercise leadership on bringing holistic organizational growth and effectiveness of operations as an integral member of the WWF Zambia Senior Management Team. Provide strategic thought and leadership on developing and oversee the implementation of financial sustainability and business planning.
- Provide strategic input on engagement of a WWF-Zambia Advisory Board.
- Serve as the WWF Network focal point for WWF Zambia on regional and global operational issues.
- Develop and ensure implementation of the Information and Communications technology strategy to deliver outstanding day to day service to the organization.
Oversight and Operational Functions:
The position doesn’t duplicate the role of the Department Leads for the following functions, but rather provides guidance on standards and leadership and support to ensure operations issues are dealt with at ZCO and each team lead can secure top-flight performance in carrying out their functions. The role leads in ensuring efficient and timely coordination of joint cross-departmental activities and processes to ensure compliance to ZCO, WWF International and Donor compliance deadlines and standards.
- Donor, WWF Financial Management and Legal Compliance standards: Works with the Head of Finance, Head of Programs and Fundraising and teams to operationalise high quality and efficient processes are carried out that align with donor standards including financial transactions, bookkeeping, accounting, and financial reporting of the organization; financial planning process, financial management policies and accounting practices. Reviews and analyzes financial reports and information and ensures that accurate and timely financial reporting to headquarters, donors and program leads is taking place. Supports and advises the CD in decision making, budgeting. Reviews reporting and monitoring of Financial Management performance metrics, ensure maximum cost recovery following institutional policies, and reviews audit findings. Reviews and monitors contracts and ensures compliance of organizational and donor requirements and policies. Consults with CD on contract anomalies and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Human Resources: Works with the Head of the Human Resources and team to ensure; Capacity to deliver contracted work is assess and in place at all times ; ensures the successful implementation of the human resource strategy in line with conservation strategy including, recruitment, hiring, and compensation; benefits administration and oversight; professional training and development, including new employee orientation; retention and succession strategies; regulatory oversight and legal compliance; ensuring that the human resource function is properly resourced and represented within the senior management team. Supports HR to facilitate across the board the implementation of common performance indicators to achieve breakthrough performance that will link individual work plans to team work plans and finally to office annual work-plan and targets.
- Program Operations , Program Quality and Administration: Works with the Head of Operations, Field Office Coordinators, Conservation Program Coordinators, and others to ensure highly effective program operations across the organization. Ensures that risk management and legal activities (letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements) are meeting organizational standards; reviews business insurance, procurement, monitoring and management; ensures the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure; ensures smooth daily operations for all WWF-Zambia field offices; supports the establishment and effective engagement of the WWF Zambia Advisory Board; promotes effective communications and information flow among key departments and ensures that enabling systems and mechanisms are in place.
- Business and Financial Sustainability Plan: Leads the development and implementation of the WWF Zambia Financial Sustainability Plan to ensure long- term financial sustainability of the organization and alignment between long-term programmatic, financial, and business objectives. Develops and manages OD proposal, budget, financial and technical reporting and funding contract for OD in collaboration with WWF Senior Management Team. Track and report on OD impacts and results regularly.
- Focal Point for WWF Network Operational Issues: Represents WWE Zambia for WWF Network operational issues including supporting “regional” functions housed or based in WWF Zambia. Actively engages at the Network level – with the Regional Africa Office, Secretariat, WWF Zambia stakeholders, etc. – on operational issues such as finance, cost recovery, and human resources. Demonstrates experience, insight, and leadership in working with the WWF Global Network on operational issues.
- Building office Operational Capacity to support conservation agenda: Supports the senior management team develop, lead and implement high quality work plans to deliver specific targets for WWF Zambia to become a national office by 2022 as approved by the Interim Board of WWF Zambia. Leads the development of annual KPI and work plans for all departments and drives implementation of high standards for ZCO programs and functions. Lead cross departmental design, implementation and measurement impact of initiatives to increase office wide efficiency through regular liaison with Finance, HR and Conservation teams. Works with Country Director and HR Manager to plan and execute activities that ensure effective leadership practises across all layers of the organisations ensuring that OD and M&E targets are built into individual performance targets (PDJs). Supports the establishment of change governance mechanisms for procedures, decisions and actions that fall outside of usual business practices.
- Deputise for Country Director as requested.
- Role Profile
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies:
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in Business Administration, Finance or Management.
- Track record of 10+ years in a senior operational leadership successfully developing, leading, and managing large-scale operations, programs and organisations
- Proven success working with teams and supporting other leaders in driving efficient and effective day to operations and removing bottlenecks quickly across teams and geographies
- Proven success leading and managing effective institutional change process and initiatives towards break through performance
- Excellent team building, organizational, analytical, and communications skills. He or she will be performance driven with the ability to motivate and develop human potential.
- Experience with various planning, monitoring and evaluation approaches (i.e. theory of change, conceptual models, result chains, conservation measures, APMS, RBM).
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis, contracts and legal compliance.
- Skills mix should include organizational development, human resource management, budget and resource development, strategic planning, and familiarity with information technology.
- Strong skills in program and project planning, financing, management, implementation, and evaluation;
- Excellent people, team building to facilitate the work of others, communications skills and ability to create and excel in a dynamic working environment.
- Initiative, judgement, flexibility, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and work effectively under time constraints, service to others, and solution oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of WWF- Zambia.
- Knowledge of NGO institutional and legal frameworks in Zambia. Familiarity with Government Bilateral and Multilateral Assistance Agencies is desired.
- Experience in the field of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields will be an added advantage but not a requirement
Adherence to WWF Global behavioural competencies:
- Strive for Impact «I am results driven. Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact. »
- Listen Deeply «I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say. »
- Collaborate Openly «I’m a global citizen working for a living planet. I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful. I work across boundaries, openly ask for help and share what I know, both internally and externally. »
- Innovate Fearlessly «I take risks to find better solutions. I measure progress and learn from mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same. »
- This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
- Working Relationships
Internal: Interacts with the WWF Zambia, Country Director, Heads of Department and staff on a daily basis, and as required coordinates and interacts with the Regional Programmes, species teams, and WWF ROA, WWF International, and other WWF Network staff.
External: Interacts with national governmental institutions, non-governmental organisations, academic institutions, donors, specialists/consultants, and other stakeholders, in collaboration with the WWF Zambia Country Director.
Method of Application
Applications must include a cover letter and complete CV of not more than 5 pages with full contact details of three referees and should be addressed to the People & Culture Manager, via email to: [email protected] by Thursday , 10th September 2020 at 17:00hrs.
Note CV and Cover letter MUST be in PDF form. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.