Public Information Assistant Job at United Nations Environment Programme… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at United Nations Environment Programme.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Researches a broad scope of information sources, printed and electronic; compiles and presents information, and proposes new material for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services for internal and external audiences, including UNEP external web and intranet.
- Provides technical support with UNEP external web and Intranet on resource mobilization, including supporting creation of new sections when needed, updating designs, ensuring that the web- and intranet sites are updated with latest information and documents are uploaded, research for design ideas and information. Compiles statistics of views of web and intranet pages related to resource mobilization.
- Assists with social media outreach – creates schedules, ensures preparation of messages, liaises with other Divisions, and monitors release of social media messaging. Compiles statistics of reach of social media products related to resource mobilization.
- Participates in production of outreach materials including planning and execution of video production, creating, designing and updating newsletters, fact sheets, presentations, financial graphics.
- Creates and maintains repository of all outreach and communication materials as well as information and sources used for products on the web, social media and in printed materials, including results delivered using core funding. Ensures compliance with copyright requirements.
- Monitors key UNEP products, e.g., Annual Report and Programme Performance Reports, web and social media production by UNEP HQ and Regional Offices related to key contributors. Regularly keeps Regional Office information officers updated on status of key contributors, supporting their work on increasing the visibility and appreciation of these countries through their channels.
- Provides technical support in creation and dissemination of online surveys, and in analysis/statistics of responses.
- Creates, maintains and updates internal database on information needed for effective correspondence on resource mobilization including recipient data, fundraising letters related to the Environment Fund and responses from the Member States. Supports the preparation, coordination, finalization and dispatch of electronic letters to Member States on fundraising and proposes technical solutions to facilitate this work.
- Supports the preparation of funding events, bilateral consultations and other meetings with Member States.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated knowledge and experience in production of tools and materials in support of internal and/or external communication, including maintenance of webpages; social media strategies and engagement; creation of newsletters, factsheets and financial graphics; and creating and updating knowledge management systems. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training/education in any one of the following is required: visual /graphic design; creating financial graphics; preparing visual presentations; website management.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
- The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience, including in public information and/or communication is required.
- Work experience managing and updating internal and external webpages is required
- Work experience in the production of visual designs, financial graphs, or the creation and update of newsletters and factsheets is desirable.
- Work experience in drafting and reviewing text such as articles, newsletters, factsheets and formal correspondence is desirable.
- Work experience in managing corporate social media accounts is desirable.
- Experience working in the United Nations system or similar organization is desirable.
- Work experience in Information /data collection, organization and management, including creating, organizing and managing information/data repositories is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.