Director of Software Engineering Job at Kyosk Digital Services… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Kyosk Digital Services.
A kiosk is an informal convenience store selling everyday household items. Known locally by their vernacular names e.g. Duka in Kenya, Spaza in South Africa, Kantemba in Zambia. kiosk-type retail outlets are the cornerstone of African retail, accounting for over 60% of all retail trade flows. Despite their importance, kiosk-type retail outlets face significant challenges, including high cost of stock and unreliable delivery.
- Leadership: Be the leader who your team looks up to. Improve processes to make them more effective. Develop their knowledge and domain expertise and instill a relentless focus on quality. Take ownership of what your teams build and coordinate their efforts to ensure the efficient completion of tasks. Eliminate obstacles that prevent your teams from performing optimally.
- Governance: As a senior-level contributor your role encompasses aspects of corporate governance related to software engineering to help ensure that Kyosk’s investment in Product and Technology delivers optimal returns in line with the business and product strategy.
- People Management: Actively work with the rest of Product and Technology leadership to build a great team that complements, supports and inspires each other to achieve greatness. Ensure effective recruitment, training and development programs are adopted to promote productivity, retention, motivation and morale. Manage the career path and goals of your direct reports, conducting regular 1-on-1s and having monthly performance dialogues. Handle complex or sensitive people matters with empathy.
- Performance Management: You will set and review performance and development goals for your teams and report to management on how they are performing and how they can improve. You identify timeframes and readiness for promotion of direct reports; solicit cross-functional feedback in support of promotions and employee rewards. You will coach and mentor engineers and new managers in the art of delivering successful software outcomes at scale while growing their careers
- Culture: Along with Kyosk’s People organization (HR) and other leaders, you will craft a winning culture that spans multiple country boundaries and is built on collaboration and shared accomplishments while having fun along the way. You eliminate siloed thinking and misalignment that detracts from what needs to be accomplished and you actively work toward stamping out any such behaviours. You help create an environment that fosters innovation and helps Kyosk engineers take smart risks and learn from failures;
- Capacity Planning and Resource allocation: Establish staffing needs and a hiring strategy by working collaboratively with the broader Product and Technology leadership team. Balance the size and composition of your teams against the expected deliverables while ensuring optimal overall team performance.
- Strategic Thinking: Plan and execute software strategies that benefit the technology department and the products that we are responsible for. Work with the Product teams to ensure that the roadmap is realistic and clearly understood by the software engineers and managers.
- Technical Delivery: Take ownership of the progress, costs, and quality of delivering engineering outcomes across multiple teams. Adopt, enforce, and contribute to the agile processes that define Kyosk’s way of working to deliver multiple product releases at scale. Own and refine the processes that your teams use to build and support products within the business.
- Vendor management: Where Kyosk makes use of outsourced development and managed services, you play a pivotal role in ensuring that our vendors and service providers deliver a high quality of service to Kyosk within our set budgets.
- Performance Monitoring: Build a deep understanding of how our products work, how they are developed, and how they are used. Identify and track metrics that ensure performance targets and objectives are met and recommend process improvements. Understand engineering metrics and seek to improve them.
- Process Improvement: Actively monitor, determine and recommend methods to streamline and improve development processes and procedures. Spearhead various research and development initiatives to identify opportunities for new projects and improved processes.
- Stakeholder Management: Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally. Act as the point of contact between the business and engineering leadership, communicating their needs to the team and vice versa.
Minimum Requirements & Key Skills:
- 12+ years of software development or technical product management experience with the full software development life-cycle: design, coding, testing, mocking, deployment and maintenance of software to real production environments;
- 5+ years as a software engineering manager with people management responsibilities and a track record of hiring and growing a talented team of engineers;
- Adept at setting targets, and at identifying appropriate metrics and milestones to ensure that those targets are achieved in 90%+ of the cases;
- Know when and how to delegate and how to empower your direct reports to drive delivery within their teams while looking for opportunities to coach and guide them;
- Experienced in working with Agile methodologies, Scrum and demonstrated experience in managing end-to-end software development lifecycles.
- Proficiency with tools of the product and engineering trade for issue tracking, technical documentation, diagramming, road mapping, project management, CI/CD, etc.
- The ability to align people behind a common goal. You can explain and materialize the objectives of the teams within your domain;
- Working knowledge of large-scale service-oriented infrastructure and the design of scalable, highly available systems in the real world;
- Strong overall knowledge of software development and quality assurance methodologies;
- Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple technical functions in the areas of infrastructure, DevOps, architects and other software engineers;
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Deadline: 31st October 2022.